Seasonal solar energy potential and the need for heat and power do not match in Northern and Central European conditions. Consequently, large investments are needed for storing solar energy from summer season to dark winter time. The widely available combined heat and power plants and heating networks should be utilized effectively also in the future energy system. In addition to these challenges, decarbonisation of the transport sector requires massive production of renewable fuels especially for the heavy duty sector: air traffic, ships, heavy duty road vehicles. FLEXCHX project is aiming to present a cost-effective solution to tackle these challenges of the new European energy mix.
Principal ideas of the proposal are:
- A hybrid process that integrates electrolysis to biomass gasification and synthesis is developed and the key enabling technologies of this process are validated to reach TRL5.
- During summer season renewable fuel intermediate (FT-wax) is produced from biomass carbon boosted with solar energy driven electrolysis. A small amount of by-product heat is also produced to cover the summer-time demand for district heating. Biomass consumption is halved compared to the winter time operation and 50 % of the input energy comes from low-cost excess electricity.
- During winter season the plant is operated without the electrolyzer in a way that biomass conversion to liquid fuel intermediate, heat and electricity is maximized.
- Most of the invested plant components are in full use throughout the year, only the electrolysis unit is operated seasonally.
Behind FLEXCHX there is a multi-national consortium composed of RTD organizations, industry and SMEs representing the entire value chain. The RTD partners have excellent synergistic competences, while the industrial partners represent lead industries covering the complete value chain from biomass gasification, gas cleaning and fuel synthesis component and plant manufacturers to service providers and end-users.
LEI will take part in four phases of the FLEXCHX project: conception development, gasification and raw material cleaning, technological and economic assessment of the process concept, exploitation and sharing of experience.
LEI will also participate in the Integration with the CHP System phase, which will analyze the markets in terms of integration potential with the FLEXCHX process.
Total cost: 4 489 545 EUR (LEI part: 225 552,50 EUR)
Coordinator: TEKNOLOGIAN TUTKIMUSKESKUS VTT OY, Finland
- UAB ENERSTENA, Lithuania
- INERATEC GMBH, Germany
- DEUTSCHES ZENTRUM FUER LUFT – UND RAUMFAHRT EV, Germany
- HELEN OY, Finland
- LIETUVOS ENERGETIKOS INSTITUTAS, Lithuania
- KAUNO ENERGIJA AB, Lithuania
- NESTE ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS OY, Finland
- JOHNSON MATTHEY PLC, United Kingdom
- OY BRYNOLF GRONMARK AB, Finland