Author, institution: Tomas Iešmantas, Lithuanian Energy Institute
Dissertation title: Reliability of energy networks considering uncertain and time-dependent data
Science area, field of science: Technological Sciences, Energetics and Power Engineering (06T)
Defense of the dissertation: 2016-03-22, 10:00, Lithuanian Energy Institute (Meeting Hall – AK-202 a.), Breslaujos st. 3, Kaunas, Lithuania.
Scientific Supervisor: Prof. dr. Robertas ALZBUTAS (Lithuanian Energy Institute, Technological Sciences, Energetics and Power Engineering – 06T)
Dissertation Defense Board of Energetics and Power Engineering Science Field:
- Chairman – Prof. Dr. Habil. Algirdas KALIATKA (Lithuanian Energy Institute, Technological Sciences, Energetics and Power Engineering– 06T);
- Prof. Dr. Habil. Juozas AUGUTIS (Vytautas Magnus University, Technological Sciences, Energetics and Power Engineering– 06T);
- Prof. Dr. Ričardas KRIKŠTOLAITIS (Vytautas Magnus University, Technological Sciences, Energetics and Power Engineering– 06T);
- Prof. Dr. Pierre-Etienne LABEAU (Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Technological Sciences, Energetics and Power Engineering – 06T);
- Prof. Dr. Egidijus Rytas VAIDOGAS (Vilnius Gediminas Technical University, Technological Sciences, Civil Engineering– 02T).
The Doctoral Dissertation is available at the libraries of Kaunas University of Technology (K. Donelaičio St. 20, Kaunas) and Lithuanian Energy Institute (Breslaujos st. 3–202, Kaunas).
Energy networks are highly complex systems which has a critical role in the development of the society. Reliability of complex systems is a characteristic of special importance. The proper functioning of the society is based on the premise that the systems supporting it are not supposed to fail in the near future. The cascading outages rolling through entire power network, explosions of natural gas transportation networks, bottlenecks of the main roads – these are but few examples of the infrastructure, which, if failed, severely affects the proper way of life of society.
In this thesis it was developed and demonstrated the methodology that enables comprehensive assessment, analysis and application of reliability of energy networks, when taking into consideration uncertain and time-dependent data. Application was performed in the case of Lithuanian energy networks in order to assess the time-dependent reliability of electricity and gas transmission networks.
The principles of energy network reliability assessment were established, when failure or fault data are dependent on the age of system, uncertain and heterogeneous. Network reliability theory was supplemented by the mathematical models, which enable to take into consideration change of incident registration criteria and to assess more adequately sever cascading outages in the network.