In this proposal, an outline for NENNET, a high quality research network bundling competences in materials sciences, nano-applications and self formation in Lithuania is given. Lithuanian research is strong in the fields addressed by the proposed network. This has been confirmed by an evaluation of the Research Council of Norway. However, links between research and industry continue to be rather weak and there are continue to be potentials for a further integration of the Lithuanian research sector into the European research community. The current integration process into the ED constitutes a strong incentive for Lithuanian research centres to engage in networking activities both inside the countries and with European partners. Lithuanian Centres of Excellen ce understand that they play a key role in making Lithuania an attractive research and development location having its place in the European Research Area. Through the bundling of competences, the integration of industry and society, and the exchange with European partners, the network contributes to the development of a critical mass able to mobilise the resources needed for outstanding research and development and innovation-based growth in Lithuania. This ensures that Lithuania will become an attractive and highly-performing partner in the European Research Area. Reaching the 3% GDP goal is an ambitious task that, as one main precondition, requires high public awareness concerning the role of R&D for competitiveness, growth and development. The propo sed NENNET is aimed at increasing this awareness through the initiation and moderation of a societal dialogue, for example within the framework of foresight studies or through a web-based communication platform. Policy makers and public actors will be dire ctly addressed by and involved into the activities of NENNET.
In order to reach its ambitious goals, the concept of NENNET is based upon four pillars:
(1) bundling and integration of scattered R&D activities in Lithuania,
(2) development of a cross-disciplinary and application – oriented R&D environment,
(3) increasing the application-orientation and the links to industry of Lithuanian research
(4) stimulating framework conditions conducive to reaching the above-mentioned goals
and creating synergies.
The NENNET project is aimed at increasing public awareness through the initiation of social dialogue (e.g. performing forecasting studies or organizing web-based communication platforms) concerning the role of R&D for competitiveness, growth and development. In order to reach such ambitious goals, activities of LEI in the NENNET project are summarized:
- Identification and integration of scattered R&D activities associated with energy storage technologies in Lithuania;
- Development of a cross-disciplinary and application–oriented R&D environment in the field of energy storage technologies;
- Increasing the application and orientation of Lithuanian research towards the industry and promoting interconnections by developing the production of energy storage devices and application of energy storage technologies integrating unstable renewable energy sources into the country’s energy grid.
Total cost: 13 083 EUR
Coordinator: MOKSLININKU SAJUNGOS INSTITUTAS, Lithuania
- CIRCA GROUP EUROPE LTD., Ireland
- LITHUANIA LIAISON OFFICE FOR RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT, Belgium
- LITHUANIAN ENERGY INSTITUTE, Lithuania
- SEMICONDUCTOR PHYSICS INSTITUTE, Lithuania
- UAB EUROPARAMA, Lithuania
- VDI – THE ASSOCIATION OF ENGINEERING, Germany
- VYTAUTAS MAGNUS UNIVERSITY, Lithuania