The objective of PLATENSO is to provide a proposal towards establishing the legal base for a European Entity on Socio-Economic matters linked to nuclear technology and to develop recommendations for research strategies in PLATENSO countries. Thereby the capabilities of research institutes in Central and Eastern European countries to take part in EU research with respect to governance, social and societal aspects is enhanced.
Initially, lessons learned from earlier projects, what is the state of knowledge in societal, social and governance issues, are reviewed and summarized. The research infrastructures within which project activities and future research are to take place are mapped and efforts are made to make sure research actors frame their approaches broad enough. Research strategies are formed for research in governance, social and societal issues in which participation in EU programmes is an integrated part. The strategies are tested with case studies to make sure they are feasible to implement. A number of networking activities are carried through as a major step toward actual foundation of the strategies in PLATENSO countries. In each country a PLATENSO partner will take responsibility for building a network of research institutions in its respective country.
Establishment of the legal base for a European Entity on Socio-Economic matters linked to nuclear technology has potential to overcome the barriers that still exist for taking them fully into account and to make the awareness of the social and political challenges to come to action. On the basis of exploratory studies focusing on Central and Eastern Europe and contacts with relevant stakeholders in all EU, the project will analyze main aspects with regard to the implementation of the entity (organization, legal form, communication structure, content, etc.). Major areas on social, societal and governance issues for the envisaged Entity will be proposed.
A nuclear energy scenario based on the Generation 4 ALLEGRO reactor concept will be given special attention as a pilot case for the European Entity giving support to ALLEGRO in social, societal and governance issues, which will include testing the draft strategy for research. The exact forms for this will be developed in close cooperation between PLATENSO and the ALLIANCE project.
During the Project, researchers of LEI selected research institutions who conduct research related to governance, social and societal aspects in the field of nuclear issues in Lithuania and formed a network.
A national strategy for social scientific research related to nuclear energy was developed. In this strategy, the current nuclear energy situation in Lithuania is presented, social and societal aspects in nuclear energy are analysed, the previous performed social research is analysed, required social research topics related to nuclear are identified and measures and means are proposed for implementation social research.
In 2015, two PLATENSO partner meetings took place (in Stockholm and Budapest) where the project achievements were presented and future works were discussed. A national strategy on social, societal and governance (SSG) issues for nuclear energy was developed in 2015.
A national strategy on social, societal and governance (SSG) issues for nuclear energy was developed in 2016. Final PLATENSO partner meeting took place in Warsaw (Poland), where the project achievements were presented and social platform perspective in the EU were discussed.
Total cost: 1 224 778,40 EUR (LEI part: 45 000,00 EUR)
Coordinator: MERIENCE SCP, Spain
- REGIA AUTONOMA PENTRU ACTIVITATI NUCLEARE DROBETA TR. SEVERIN RA SUCURSALA CERCETARI NUCLEARE PITESTI, Romania
- STUDIECENTRUM VOOR KERNENERGIE/CENTRE D’ETUDE DE L’ENERGIE NUCLÉAIRE, Belgium
- CENTER FOR THE STUDY OF DEMOCRACY, Bulgaria
- GALSON SCIENCES LIMITED, United Kingdom
- INSTITUTE OF SOCIOLOGY OF THE ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC PUBLIC RESEARCH INSTITUTION, Czech Republic
- UJV REZ, a.s., Czech Republic
- ENERGIAKLUB SZAKPOLITIKAI INTEZET MODSZERTANI KOZPONT EGYESULET, Hungary
- REGIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL CENTER FOR CENTRAL AND EASTERN EUROPE -REC, Hungary
- LIETUVOS ENERGETIKOS INSTITUTAS, Lithuania
- COLLEGIUM CIVITAS, Poland
- UNIWERSYTET MIKOLAJA KOPERNIKA W TORUNIU, Poland
- INSTYTUT CHEMII I TECHNIKI JADROWEJ, Poland
- UNIVERZA V LJUBLJANI, Slovenia
- UNIVERZITA MATEJA BELA V BANSKEJ BYSTRICI, Slovakia
- USTAV VYSKUMU SOCIALNEJ KOMUNIKACIE SLOVENSKEJ AKADEMIE VIED, Slovakia
- ESSRG Kft., Hungary
- MARTELL LAMOLLA MERITXELL, Spain
- UNIVERSITATEA DIN BUCURESTI, Romania
- REGIA AUTONOMA TEHNOLOGII PENTRU ENERGIA NUCLEARA – RATEN, Romania
- KARITA RESEARCH AB, Sweden