The project was set-up to lay the ground for an extended use of decentralised and sustainable energy actions of the European Cohesion Programmes after 2006. Starting from the favourable framework conditions the EU set for the Cohesion Policies the project helped to bring these priorities into the national and regional Cohesion and Structural Programmes. An alliance out of industry, SMEs, political pressure groups and development organisations targeted decision makers in countries with underdeveloped rural regions. The project demonstrated best practice in eight target regions by the design of Master Plans that aimed at the implementation of RE & RUE projects in selected regions. It identified the best funding mechanisms and elaborated suitable cooperation schemes. The following target regions were selected: Czech Republic – Zlin Region, Latvia – Limbazi Region, Slovak Republic – Velky Krtis, Lithuania – Kaunas Region, Poland – Poviat Nowa Sol, Greece – Prefecture of Evros, Estonia – Saaremaa Island, Italy – Alta Locride.
- Eight comprehensive Master Plans for RE actions in selected regions of Southern and Eastern Europe.
- Guidelines for planning RES and RUE actions within the European Cohesion Policies.
- Strategy paper on innovative financing schemes for new RES and RUE projects.
- Guidelines for bundling RE actions making them bankable and feasible for Structural and Cohesion Funds.
- Seminars on the potential of Cohesion Programmes for funding small scale RES and RUE actions.
LEI activities in the Project
- During the project, information was gathered about the Kaunas Region, the current situation in the energy sector (existing energy capacities, energy production and consumption).
- Evaluated efficiency of energy consumption in residential buildings, saving potential. Based on the information gathered, the analysis of the SWOT of Kaunas region was carried out, the vision of development of the region’s energy sector was prepared, the priorities of development of the region’s development were determined.
- A comprehensive strategy for the development of the energy sector in Kaunas region has been prepared.
Total cost: 1 196 407 EUR
Coordinator: WIP GmbH & Co Planungs-KG, Germany
- WIP GmbH & Co Planungs-KG, Germany
- European Renewable Energy Council, Belgium
- ENVIROS s.r.o., Czech Republic
- Archimedes Foundation, Estonia
- BASE Deutschland GmbH, Germany
- AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY OF ATHENS, Greece
- Geonardo Environmental Technologies Ltd, Hungary
- ETA, Energia, Trasporti, Agricoltura srl, Italy
- Ekodoma, Latvia
- Lithuanian Energy Institute, Lithuania
- Krajowa Agencja Poszanowania Energii S.A., Poland
- SEGI – AT Sp. z o.o., Poland
- Energy Centre Bratislava, Slovakia
|Juozas Vytautas Žiugžda|